Sunday, October 10, 2010

They Just Get It...

So before I came over to the blog side tonight, i was looking at a video about how this year there have been a number of schools across the country that have voted for a student with special needs - in many cases, Downs Syndrome- as their Homecoming Queen or King. I cried when I watched it, how could you not. And its not just because of Jack, its because these young adults/teenagers are getting it, and you don't know how happy that makes me feel. Growing up with a sister who had special needs gave me some experiences that broke my heart, people were mean, it wasn't right. And when we first had Jack when I was in my anger stage I didn't think it was fair that I was going to have to go through that all again.... Erika told me about the last episode of the TV show Glee, and I went online and watched it, and what the character Sue says is completely true, in the show she has an older sister who has downs syndrome and she said that when they were young she looked at her older sister and she was perfect, but then as they grew older she watched the world be cruel to her - and its true - that is how I felt with my sister... there was a lot of good I saw, but there was the cruel part as well, and as a sister it ripped at my gut, it hurt me so much, and now with Jack, as a parent I'm in a different spot, and the thought of someone ever being cruel to him absolutely kills me, there are no words for it... but I feel hope when I see these news clips of teenagers voting for these wonderful, perfect kids, or letting them run for a touchdown in a Varsity football game... I love it and all that runs through my head is that they get it, they are seeing what is really important in life... the just get it...

#10 I love how Jack has made me a different person. I love how just by his presence in our family he is helping Elle and Marley be better people, and not only that but he is helping his cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc etc etc..... We are a more compassionate family. We are more loving, towards others and towards each other. He has melted us together and that gives me strength..

No comments:

Post a Comment