Thursday, October 21, 2010

20 & 21

#20
So a while ago I saw a little clip of a show about seeing what people would do in certain situations. The show itself would set up an incident and see how people react to it. In this particular case, there was a young man with Down Syndrome bagging groceries - the young man was a hired actor who did have DS, and they also hired a lady who while she is having her groceries rang up starts to say some really hurtful things about the young man. She uses the "R" word and talks about how slow he is going. The first person she was saying these things to just nodded her head and said nothing back. This upset me as you would probably guess.... the second lady went off.... she said things like how can you say something like that. If that was my child I would be slapping you...etc. etc. etc... It was great to see that reaction. But the one that got me was where the actor lady started doing her thing and a guy who wasn't in line, just happened to be walking by and overheard what she was saying came up and put his arm around the young man bagging and told the lady off.... The TV show interviewed each person after and they asked them why they reacted that way... the first lady used the excuse that she just didn't want to confront the woman who was saying the hurtful things... The second lady was like heck yea I said something, I would never want anyone treating my child that way, so I'm not going to let it happen to anyone else... and the 3rd guy said he has a sister with DS and just seeing someone say things like that made him jump to stand up for this young man. I have to say it was VERY hard to watch... although my heart jumped when people were standing up for this boy, it also sank when someone didn't. The thought of someone being hurtful towards Jack just starts my blood running and gets me into this attack mode, and that is just the thought.... But what also helps is knowing that he has 2 body guards that will be by his side at times I am not... they happen to be his biggest cheerleaders too. Even though one can't talk yet she still makes these faces and her legs start kicking when her brother is near... Elle is amazing when she is cheering for her brother, and he soaks it up. Jack will do anything if Elle is cheering him on. I love that that foundation is laid and it gives me comfort about the years to come.... And Jack and Marley I think will be very protective of each other. Jack has these special moments with her and she just lights up when he leans in to be cheek to cheek with her. The world can be very mean sometimes, but I know that I have 3 superheros watching over each other and our family...

#21
Jack is a little stinker : ) He loves to make trouble, start trouble, and be IN trouble day in and day out. He knows what he should and should not do, but he also knows what he can do to get out of it... smile and give me those "Bambi Eyes".... oh he is such a stinker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment