Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The 6 Month Eval

So with Jacks early intervention program they do an evaluation every 6 months. They are appointments I don't really look forward to because I always seem to feel so bad after. I look at my little man and I think WOW he is doing so much. He has overcome so many different obstacles and is still moving forward making huge strides.... but then I have to answer the questions they ask about him. Is he doing this or that, does he know this, can he do that etc. etc etc... and i have to answer no, um yea he is working on them, he is not there yet, etc, etc, etc.... I feel as if I have let him down. I worry that I'm not doing enough. I do get my moments to say Yes he did that and trust me if I could yell YES, without freaking out everyone around I would, but those moments are always overshadowed by the other answers I have to give.... I can't help it this is how I feel, every time.. its not the people who come and do the questioning at all, its just the fact that these questions make me feel like here we go, here is the first round of judgement on my son. No he cannot say Jack yet but he can say light, mama, dada, Elle, Mar and a bunch of other words, and he knows every single word I say to him. He is so smart and he is such a superhero to me that I hate to have to have some test say otherwise..... It's just a stage I'm at right now, I usually always have this low point after the meetings and then brush it off and move forward, but I have to say it's hard, thats just what it is... its hard. So there - got that out, I'm ready to move on... on to bigger and better things, things that a piece of paper can't hold back. I'm off to go and watch what amazing thing Jack will do today...

2 comments:

  1. Robin I know that you are doing amazing things with Jack. As a teacher, I appreciate the fact that you go to those meetings and believe me, they are just trying to see what he can do so that in the future they can help him in the best possible situation. Last year I had a little boy in my prek class with downs and I am everyone in my class loved him. But even as smart as he was, we knew that we couldn't meet his needs with the set up we had in our classroom and I felt horrible and like a failure. I hated that his parents were so upset to put him in a "special ed" class, and that they blamed me for not trying harder. But after about a month, his mom actually ran into someone from the school and say that he was doing so great and loved his class and that he was meeting his goals. So I can't say how you feel from a parental stand point, but I know that I felt like I had let down this little boy, so take that for what it is worth. While I was going through this whole process, I kept thinking about you and what you have to go through and as frustrated as I was, I knew that as the parents it had to be really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avalon, I love you!! you are such a great friend to have, and I hope that when Jack starts in the school system that he is blessed to have a teacher close to how amazing a teacher you are... I wish he could have you but commuting to AZ isn't really a possibility right now ; ) Thank you so much for your insight

    ReplyDelete