Sunday, December 5, 2010

Little Victories

So I might have shared this before, but I found it to be something that is so true in my life... The day we were driving home with Jack after his open heart surgery, there was just this huge feeling of relief, we were going home, it was a beautiful day, and our little boy was so happy in the back seat... I took this deep breath in and just let it out.... and Steve said yeah this is one of those little victories. and I was like little are you kidding me?!?! but then he followed it up by saying how its just one of many victories to come, because we all know there will be more trials and there can't be just one victory, there has to be many little ones along the way..... now the success of Jacks surgery is at the top for sure of our victory list and it was not little at all, but its there in our book of little victories, and with that being said we had another little victory this past week, and I'm sure we've actually had many since the surgery, but this one was a really good one... Lately I've just been lost in knowing what I can do to get Jack to eat "big people food".... he is stuck on that stage 3 baby food and his milk and when I say stage 3, I'm just talking about like the sweet potatoes, not the turkey and veggie dinner ; ) He just will not go for the bigger chunks and anything new that I try to put in his mouth he just lets it sit on his tongue or he uses his tongue to shoot it right back out of his mouth... even the fast dissolving stuff, he just will not take it... and I have my moments when I am determined to do this - to get him off the baby stuff and on to other things but then I always give in when after many attempts it doesn't happen... We finally got an OT coming in to help us with this, and after our first eval. I just felt like "what have I done, I have totally let him fall behind." In my mind I was just waiting for him to make the decision, something I sort of learned with Elle was that she would do it when she was ready... like potty training, crawling etc, etc etc... So that has been my mindset with Jack, but I think about it now and I'm like is this something that has now put him way far behind... and I know I should have requested to get an OT in and working with us sooner, but again pretty much since April we have been on surgery mode and new baby mode and didn't really focus much on Jacks eating habits. The good part is that he is very healthy, he is growing like a weed and he is amazing when it comes to his weight and height, so its not like this was something that was hurting him nutrition wise.... so now to make my point HE ATE MACARONI AND CHEESE....(clapping and cheering) it was blended up mind you but he ate it, after a few/many tries and getting him distracted we did it and he ate it and by the end of the meal I didn't even have to distract him. It felt so good, it may not seem that big to many, but it was one of the top of the list little victories for us..... we will have to see what happens next, but for now we'll take what we can from this one and try something else....

2 comments:

  1. Robin, you are a great mom. I can see how much you love those kids and I am glad little things can lift you so much, you know we all need those!

    ReplyDelete